Bradley Memorial campus:
New Britain General campus:
The Hospital of Central Connecticut Emergency Department has two locations available 24/7:
Check ED wait times!
- Bradley Memorial campus ED, 81 Meriden Ave., Southington (Directions)
- The Samuel "Sy" Birnbaum ED, 100 Grand St., New Britain (Directions)
Get wait times on your cell phone!
Text your zip code to 4ER411 (437411)*
*Works with these zip codes: 06037, 06450, 06050, 06451, 06051, 06467, 06052, 06111, 06053, 06786, 06062, 06013, 06479, 06085, 06489, 06087, 06010, 06105, 06011, 06106, 06410, 06107, 06411, 06110, 06408, 06117, 06416, 06119, 06030, 06127, 06032, 06133, 06444, 06137
Want wait times on your iPhone™?
Find centralCT ER in the app store.
Both campuses are equipped to handle all types of illnesses and injuries, including life-threatening emergencies. Each campus also has a Fast Track area for treatment of minor injuries and conditions.
Our board-certified emergency physicians, along with physician assistants, nurses, technicians and other staff are specially educated in emergency care.
The Emergency Department staff's mission is to exceed the expectations of our patients and medical staff by providing outstanding emergency care delivered with efficiency, sensitivity and compassion, on time, anytime, to anyone who requests our services.
Our ED - one of the busiest in the state - also has one of the shortest wait times nationwide. Short wait time can be attributed to recent renovations, system efficiencies and staff efforts:
- The hospital's ED uses EmpowER, an information system that provides patients' medical histories, test results and treatment details and other information to providers. The healthcare providers enter their orders, documentation and prescriptions into the system.
- In 2008, the hospital completed a project that added 10,000 square feet and 11 beds to the hospital's Emergency Department, New Britain General campus. The project included improvements to enhance efficiency, comfort, privacy and technology.
- The emergency department at each campus includes a Fast Track for less urgent illnesses or conditions.
- Emergency room wait times for both campuses are available on the hospital's website; as an iPhone™ app; and via a cell phone text message.
The Hospital of Central Connecticut is in the top 10 percent best practice performance for hospitals in the U.S. in providing care to patients with heart attacks. Contributing to this success is implementation in 2010 of the Web-based LIFENET System with New Britain Emergency Medical Services, Inc.
The system helps speed treatment of patients having an ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) type of heart attack, by sending to the hospital's ED an incoming patient's electrocardiogram reading. Once the ED physician confirms a STEMI from the LIFENET System's EKG transmission, an angioplasty suite can be immediately set up.